Originally posted August 2016
With the recent adventure of joining Quinnipiac University’s Men’s Soccer program I have reviewed my coaching philosophy for the year.
With my coaching of youth teams, high school & college there will obviously be some differences in expectations but here are the things I expect from all the goalkeepers I am coaching this season.
From myself the coach:
- All my sessions are planned in advance with space for reactive sessions if needed.
- Make use of a variety of GK equipment
- Sessions intense for 30 – 50 minutes with little down time between exercises
- More focus on distribution
- Allow GK’s to finish on success – additional serves are played until goalkeeper ends with a save.
- To incorporate a cool down to each session
Expectation from players:
- Professionalism – arriving on time with correct equipment
- Own preparation prior to training
- Train as if you are playing. (Go for everything & complete the save if ball is loose.)
- To provide quality service to others
- Ask questions if not sure what is expected
- A winning / competitive mentality
- Encourage others with positive feedback after good saves